Workshop 1 introduces parents to School2Home, its goals, and the implementation process. Teachers and parents introduce themselves to each other and share their views of technology and how it can support learning. A significant amount of the workshop is devoted to technology and School2Home; however, the most important goal of this first session is to establish a welcoming environment to begin developing a sense of teamwork and trust between and among families and school staff.
During this workshop, parents will be introduced to and explore the following:
- School2Home Goals and 10 Core Components.
- The middle school environment, class schedule, academic goals, and school website.
- The digital device their child will have at school and at home.
- Affordable broadband options for the home.
- Responsible Use Policy (RUP) for students and guidelines for parents.
- Basic digital literacy skills and tools.
Once parents have completed this workshop, they will know how to:
- Obtain an email address, if they do not have one.
- Obtain broadband at home, if they do not have a subscription.
- Monitor their child’s use of the Internet.
- Access the school website.
- Know how to contact their child’s teachers and office staff.
- Express confidence in their school and the teaching staff.
- Feel a sense of belonging to the school community.
Facilitator’s Guide: Guide will be provided to School2Home Facilitators.
School2Home 10 Core Components
Affordable Broadband Flyer English
Affordable Broadband Flyer Spanish