Module objectives: Teachers will
- be familiar with the School2Home parent training components
- understand the importance of parent involvement in student learning
- learn to use various communication/engagements methods to get and keep parents involved
Parent Involvement - a YouTube video
- Pair-share - Discuss with partner:
- What is the current parent involvement at this school?
- In your classroom?
- What impressed you about the video?
- Group share
Edutopia's Home-to-School Connections Guide Investigation - Jigsaw Activity
- Teachers break into 10 groups with each group reading one section of the guide, also reviewing the related resources links.
- Each group adds summaries to the proper section of the collaborative Google doc.
- In departmental groups, teachers spend some time looking at the community/home resources for Parent Engagement.
- As a department, teachers create a plan to use the resources and share with colleagues in a Google Presentation.
- Teachers read this PTO article on parent involvement in middle schools, and
- Update parent corner of teacher website, using suggestions from TIPS, the Home-to-School Guide, the Family Resources, and the PTO article.
Magic Moment - Google Translate
- Teachers reflect on the module's objectives and how they apply to their teaching practice.
- If appropriate, teachers should post on their website in multiple languages.
- Teachers incorporate one activity using one of the family resources.
- At department meetings, teachers could continue the discussion of using the educational resources outlined in this module.
- The school can create a list of suggested communication activities to engage parents by individual departments or as an entire school.
- Coaches could offer Professional Development on using the teacher website for parent engagement.
- In preparation for Module 3, school coaches could provide professional development on CCSS and technology’s role in support of students’ success in meeting the new standards.
- Teachers continue to share resources and experiences with other School2Home colleagues and teachers throughout the state of CA at the Brokers of Expertise website.