Module 2 : Parent Engagement
November 18, 2015
One of the key components of the School2Home Program is the emphasis on a strong parent-school collaboration
Objectives: Teachers will:
- be familiar with the School2Home parent training components.
- understand the importance of parent involvement in student academic achievement.
- learn to use various technology resources.
- review websites created for home use and parent involvement in student’s academic work.
Module 2 Opening Activity: Review of Module 1; follow up on outside work--reflections in Google Docs.
Parents and School Achievement
Discuss with your partner:
(Planning for the December 1 Training of Trainers for parent workshops will take place on Thursday, November 19. Any thoughts/requests I can bring to that session?)
|Parent Involvement Matters!|
Connections Guide Investigation: Home-to-School Connections Guide: discuss with partner; summarize sections in a Google Doc.
TIPS Activity: Explore TIPS Website
(download the PDF)
Investigation of educational home activities: explore the community/home resources for Parent Engagement.
Begin to create a plan to use the resources.
Figure This! Family Corner: NCTM’s math focused ideas
Teacher Presentation Activity:
Develop a Powerpoint for Google Slide Presentation to share with parents about the importance of their engagement with their students and you.
Focus on Common Core to share with parents and how it relates to your own content areas.
Option: Free choice of a topic you want to share with parents
|PTO article for improved parent involvement (see the list at the bottom of the article)|
|Magic Moment: Google Translate||Website|
- Share the Presentation created in this workshop with another teacher.
- Incorporate one activity using one of the family resources in the next 2 weeks.
- Additional discussion time on using the educational resources and TIPS.
- Creation of suggested communication activities to engage parents.
- More PD on using the school site website for parent engagement.
Edutopia: “The Beginner’s Guide to Connecting Home and School”
Edutopia: “Home-to-School Connections Resource Roundup”
Edutopia: “Connecting School and Home: 360-Degree Communication”
MiddleWeb: All About the Middle Grades
Ithaca College: Parent/Family/School/Community Connections
Common Sense Media: Family Guides/Parent Concerns
Scholastic: The Home School Connection
December 16 is the NEXT PD Session - at 3:30 p.m.