School2Home provides a framework of 10 core components to turn around low-performing schools. The 10 components are anchored in extensive analysis of successful technology programs, research on effective parent engagement, and best practices to improve schools. They are as follows:
- School Leadership, Assessment, and Planning: A School Leadership Team is formed to assess needs, analyze data, set goals, develop a work plan, and oversee implementation.
- Technology Bundles for Students and Teachers: All students receive a computing device to use in the classroom and at home following parent training. Teachers receive powerful devices.
- Teacher Professional Learning: Teachers receive professional learning about integrating technology into classroom instruction, homework assignments, and engagement of parents.
- Coaching and Mentoring: School personnel are designated as technology coaches and content champions to support teachers and embed professional learning.
- Parent Engagement and Education:Parents receive basic digital literacy training to use the device, ensure online safety, communicate with the school, and support their child’s education.
- Student Tech Expert Development: Students are recruited and trained to help provide basic technical support to other students, teachers, and families.
- Online Resources: The website provides support for teachers to prepare lessons and assistance for parents to acquire digital skills and engage with schools and teachers.
- Learning Academies: Principals and teachers participate in workshops and online sessions as learning communities to share best practices and learn from one another.
- Affordable Home Internet Access:Parents receive information about affordable high-speed Internet service offers and the availability of public broadband access centers.
- Evaluation: A comprehensive annual evaluation process provides feedback to schools for accountability and input to program managers for continuous improvement to achieve goals.
School2Home now offers a full IMPLEMENTATION GUIDE for those interested in having
a comprehensive, coordinated approach to digital learning in their own organization(s).